Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sneak Preview - Senorita Gordita


I've been working hard on Helen Ketteman's picture book - Senorita Gordita - a fractured fairly tale of the little ginger bread man story. Set in the south west Helen and I got to revisit the sights, sounds, smells, and flavors that we explored in Armadilly Chili also written by Helen. Instead of a smart alec fast ginger bread man we're dealing with a sassy tell it like it is over confident zippy corn cake - "gordita". Helen has a way with words (duh she's an author) and writes one of the funniest re-tellings of this classic tale. I knew I was going to have a blast illustrating her story when I read it for the first time. I was laughing so hard that my wife had to know what was so funny all the way from the living room.

Senorita Gordita will be out from Albert Whitman towards the end of this year and of course I'll let you know when I get my first copies.

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic, Will! Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little characters always have great personalitites and I can so feel this little guys attitude coming through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I'm just having fun - is it wrong to love your work? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before you even said it... I KNEW this must be one of Helen Kettemen’s stories. I have enjoyed Armadilly Chili. I love the “hot” colors you chose for that book and I can see you’ve brought them with you into the next. Looks fantastic! Can’t wait to check out the Senorita!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free...